Monday, April 16, 2012

Our Worst Enemy

Satan is our enemy, sure, but I think we tend to over emphasize that in our mind at times. I mean, Satan can only be one place at once, and he's not all knowing, like God. He's an enemy, yes, and a formidable one at that, but he is definitely not our worst. We have an even stronger, more dangerous enemy and he greets you everyday in the mirror. We are our own worst enemy. Our soul is sealed with the Holy Spirit, but our flesh is still in world, free to struggle, free to battle, and free to sin. And we do.
The hard part for me is that we can never totally win against this enemy. And then I start to wonder why God has us fighting a loosing battle. But God has His reasons and I don't need to understand them. All I have to is know is He calls us to war, even if we can never win. I once read somewhere, "We are free to struggle, but we’re not struggling to be free".

We must battle our sin until we are freed from this earth, where we can't be dragged down by own flesh. Then our soul, washed clean by the blood of the Lamb, can share in the victory, rejoicing at the Heavenly throne. And you know what? I bet it will will be worth it and then some.

So for here on Earth, it's not in the winning, but in the fighting.
For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am carnal, sold under sin. For what I am doing, I do not understand. For what I will to do, that I do not practice; but what I hate, that I do. If, then, I do what I will not to do, I agree with the law that it is good. But now, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me. For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find. For the good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I practice. Now if I do what I will not to do, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me. I find then a law, that evil is present with me, the one who wills to do good. For I delight in the law of God according to the inward man. But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. O wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? I thank God—through Jesus Christ our Lord!
Romans 7:14-25 NKJ

Fight, my dear brothers and sisters, and when you grow weary, think of the cross, and you will find His strength.
-Victoria


1 comment:

Gracie said...

Thank you so much for the reminder Victoria! It is so Important to remember that God WIll Win the battle. Something that I realized when I was reading this is that we are not the ones fighting! It is the holy spirit that is working in us and fighting For us! Like it says in the passage that you posted "For I know that in me (that is my flesh) nothing good dwells...For the good that I will to do, I do not do". It is only by Gods unending grace that we have ever done anything right. Not that I am saying that God is controlling us, That is not at all what I mean, but it is only by the holy spirit living in us.
Thank you again Victoria, and God Bless you,
Gracie