Saturday, February 11, 2012

Leading the Blind

And I will bring the blind by a way that they knew not; I will lead them in paths that they have not known: I will make darkness light before them, and crooked things straight. These things will I do unto them, and not forsake them.  Isaiah 42:16

Out of all the promises in the Bible this one rings true for me.  If I think about it hard it almost brings me to tears because of the comfort and strength I find in this one verse. 

I am legally blind, and in this world where everything is fast paced, going by in a blur, sometimes I feel alone and afraid.  There are so many unknowns.  I don't like the unknown, I can be content just staying home, on my farm, in my comfort zone.  But I know that isn't what God wants for me and the last year of my life has been a time of God leading me on paths that I hadn't forseen.   But He is faithful, he won't just ditch me in a new place.  He makes the darkness, light, before my feet and makes the crooked path passable.  With this promise in my heart I can step blindly, yet boldly out into the unknown and joyfully confront uncertainty.  

He promises to do this with all His children, not just those of us who are physically blind.  If you are blind to a situation, blind to God's plan, unable to clearly see spiritually, you fit into this verse.  God promises that even if you have absolutely no idea what you are doing or where you are going, He will be there and guide you ever step of the way.  If you step out in faith, the path will not only be revealed to you, but the road will be made straight.  

I cling to this promise as I'm stumbling through the dark of this life, and believe me, it is better to be blind and have God guide you, then to have vision and choose your own way.          

No comments: